Hello there! Dal is a pretty common Indian dish. But, if you don’t want to make the same old dal recipe, here’s a game changer for you. Presenting Dal Chicken Curry! This is the best Dal Chicken recipe that is simple enough for beginners but also can make you look like a pro at cooking 😉
‘Cause as I said, this is not an ordinary Indian dal recipe.
Before we skip to the exact ingredients needed for the chicken dal recipe step by step, I’d like to tell you that this main course dish can be eaten with Indian naan, roti, or even rice. For the rice, we’d slightly cook it with a few spices – also called Bagara Khana in South India.
The first step in this Daal Chicken recipe is to soak the chana dal for at least half an hour prior to cooking. This is a last minute step in case you forget to soak it overnight.
Have all your ingredients ready. As all Indian recipes, we will start by putting some onions into a pan along with caraway seeds which give a nice aroma in the kitchen.
After they are fried until golden brown, you can add all other ingredients mentioned below. I find it easy to buy most of my ingredients on Amazon as they are pretty convenient.
Later, after the chicken has been thoroughly cooked, you can transfer the contents into a pressure cooker and add the soaked chana dal.
Scroll down to see how perfect this Chicken Chana Dal recipe looks like 🙂
How to Make Dal Chicken Curry?
- 1.5 cups Chana dal
- 6 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1 tsp Caraway seeds
- 2 Onions finely chopped
- 2 Tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 kg Chicken
- 2 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- Coriander for garnish
- Chilis slit into half for garnish
- Heat a pan with oil on medium flame and add caraway seeds and onions to it. Fry until the onions turn golden brown
- Add ginger-garlic paste to the pan and fry this for about a minute
- Add chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt to the fried onions and fry for half a minute
- Then, add tomatoes and fry until they're soft. Next, add the chicken pieces to the mixture and let it cook
- Transfer the mixture to a pressure cooker and add water
- Add soaked dal and cook for about 15 minutes
- Garnish with coriander and chili and serve hot
Other alternatives: Another simple way to enjoy dal is to make a Dal Gosht recipe. This can be simply done by swapping mutton instead of chicken which will make it gosht dal.
Some other chicken recipes to try from us:
Some simple equipment we use for our recipes can be found here – click to shop!
Signing off now!
P.S. If you would like to save this recipe for later, here’s how to do it! 🙂
You Cook, I Eat is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Clicking on a link and purchasing a product will earn us a tiny commission with no extra cost to you :)