Have you heard the popular street food snack in India called Chole Bhature? This is just the South Indian version of that. Made in a delicious tomato gravy of chickpeas with spices and a whole lot of condiments. This South Indian Chana Masala is going to make you drool!
I remember when mom used to make this chickpea masala for lunch. We’d be so overjoyed because this used to be one of my favorite dishes back in childhood. Also, mom would only prepare this occasionally since it requires frying puris and we were, well, a big family so a rice dish would always be the easier option!
Nevertheless, this Chana Masala easy recipe is bound to make you fall in love with chickpeas if you don’t already love it. Also, this vegetarian chana masala can easily turn into a vegan chana masala by just adding beet sugar instead of the regular refined sugar.
Without further ado, let’s get started on how to make chana masala…
How to make easy Chana Masala recipe
The most important thing you need to remember about the ingredients for chana masala is that it uses quite some spices. You can see the exact amount required below.
In addition to the spices, you will need chickpeas, tomatoes, onions, and tomato paste for this chickpea Indian dish.
Blend the tomatoes and onion into a fine paste using a standard blender. To know the exact equipment we use, you can take a look into our Indian cookware guide.
In a pot that is hollow enough to hold gravy, add oil, ginger garlic paste, and the blended mixture. Next, add up the spices and some water depending on the gravy consistency you like. We like to add about a 1/3 cup of water so that the chana curry is thick.
This authentic chana masala recipe can be made easy by adding readymade spices like Shan chana masala powder and chaat masala powder. I usually use Shan for my spices, but MDH Chana Masala, Eastern, and Everest are also good brands.
Next, add the boiled chickpeas for this masala chana recipe and cook for about 10-15 minutes.
Serve with hot puris and garnish!
South Indian Chana Masala Recipe
Chana Chaat Masala
- Standard Blender
- Hollow pot
- 200 gm boiled chickpeas canned chickpeas can be used
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 2 tomatoes roughly chopped
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp chole/ chana masala powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala powder
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- coriander garnish
- ½ finely sliced onion garnish
- In a blender, blend onion and tomatoes into a fine paste
- In a pot, add oil, ginger garlic paste and add the blended paste
- Then add the chole masala powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, chaat masala powder, sugar, and tomato paste and mix well
- Close the lid and cook for about 10-15 minutes and add water if needed to make the gravy to your desired consistency
- Add the boiled chana and let it cook for about 15 minutes
- Garnish with coriander, finely sliced onion, and lemon
- Serve hot with puris
Other alternatives for chickpea chana masala: While there are no alternatives really for this recipe, you can make loads of dishes with chickpeas! Chana saag is another delicious dish that can be lapped up with puri
If you’re feeling adventurous, why not make this fusion recipe for Chana Masala Tacos?
Instant Pot Chana Masala
To make chana masala Instant Pot, you need to do the above-mentioned steps a little differently.
This puri chana recipe will stay the same even if you want to make pressure cooker chana masala.
- Set the Instant Pot on saute mode and add in oil, sliced onions, and ginger garlic paste and saute for about 2 minutes
- Then, add in all the spices – chana masala powder, chaat masala, chili powder, turmeric powder, and sugar
- When you see the onions turning translucent, add in the tomato paste, chickpeas, and 1 cup of water
- Turn the Instant Pot to Manual mode and set the timer for 10 minutes with the vent in sealing position. Let pressure release naturally. If using a pressure cooker, then cook for about 2 whistles
- Serve hot with fresh puris
Other recipes to make with Instant Pot
View this post on Instagram
Hello to our new members! 👋🏻 We are so grateful that we have been able to form such a lovely community in just a month’s time Alhamdulillah! 😊 . Just wanted to introduce ourselves once again! We are two sisters, Sarah and Safiyah, sharing our love for good home cooked meals. You’ll mostly find #Indianrecipes from our kitchen here and also some new dishes we experiment with! Follow along for cooking #shenanigans and recipes videos every day! ❤️
How to serve Chole Chana?
This simple chana masala gravy should be served with the condiments in the picture. Chop some onions, coriander leaves, and serve with lemon!
Mom used to sometimes take the extra effort of preparing a dessert to go with the puris. Yes, puris are not just meant to behad with savory dishes. They taste pretty delicious with Sooji ki Kheer/ Semolina Kheer too. Check out our recipe to make both these dishes with your puris.
This chana masala Indian recipe is truly a Godsend! I love how you can lap up the remaining gravy with puri. If you haven’t tried this, you are really missing out!
Signing off now! xx
P.S. To save and read the recipe later, here’s a pinnable version!