One of the first recipes I learned was the South Indian Pepper Chicken. To explain its taste, it is exactly what the name suggests – peppery, spicy, and so much flavor. For amateur cooks, this Pepper Chicken Masala recipe is the best one you can get your hands on!
Do you have those recipes that your mum used to repeat often when you were a child? And, whether you liked it or not, you just had to finish everything on your plate. Yes, this Phal Chicken was one of those recipes.
No, it was not something I disliked. Because (I don’t tell this much, but) I was a kid who had fine tastebuds from a young age and well, I was also a little too “healthy”. What can I say, I do most of the eating, and Safiyah does the cooking!
If you’re wondering how to prepare Pepper Chicken Gravy, scroll down!
How to Make South Indian Pepper Chicken
Chicken ka Phal as we call it at home is very simple because you just need to remember 2 main steps – add chicken and spices to a pan, and the rest of the ingredients into a blender.
I told you it’s easier, didn’t I? Of course, some taste buds might find it spicy so make sure you tone down the green chilies if you have a guest/ family member who can’t handle spice.
Just follow the exact measurements for the Black Pepper Chicken Indian Masala below…
Pepper Chicken Masala Recipe (Chicken Phal)
Indian Pepper Chicken
- Pan hollow enough to hold gravy and chicken
- 1 kg chicken
- 1 onion
- 2 tomatoes
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp pepper powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2-3 green chilies
- a handful of coriander leaves
- 4 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- In a pan, add oil and chicken and let it cook for about 5 minutes on a high flame
- Add turmeric powder, pepper, garam masala, and salt to the chicken
- In a blender, add grated coconut, chilies, onion, tomatoes, and coriander and blend until it becomes a paste
- Add the paste to the chicken and mix well
- Let the chicken cook for about 15-20 minutes and serve hot
Other alternatives for Black Pepper Chicken Curry: Sometimes, we are left with extra gravy and to make use of this, I add boiled eggs into the gravy to avoid wastage.
It feels like another dish and also an alternative recipe for those who don’t like chicken.
This Pepper Chicken recipe can also be substituted with protein like fish and prawns in the same gravy. Bear in mind that along with the amount of protein used, the quantities of ingredients will also have to be changed.
Dry Chicken Pepper Masala – Recipe
To use it as a side dish, you can make a dry version of this called Pepper Chicken Dry recipe. I’ve listed down the steps for an easy way to make Chicken Pepper Fry:
- Use all ingredients as above except tomatoes
- Heat a pan on medium flame and saute the onions until translucent
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, coconut, and all other spices and saute for about 2 minutes
- Now, add the chicken and close the lid to let cook for around 20-30 minutes
- Garnish with coriander and serve
Chicken Pepper Fry Dry and Pepper Chicken Curry recipe are some simple chicken recipes that can become a staple in your kitchen once you master them. For more of our chicken recipes, click to our archives here.
How to Serve Chettinad Pepper Chicken
There are multiple ways to serve this Black Pepper Roast Chicken, you can either serve with naan or rice. My favorite way to eat it is with rice as a side dish. If you have leftover rice, you can switch up your regular rice recipe and make Lemon Rice which is a stunning match for this easy pepper chicken recipe.
Have you made this Black Pepper Chicken recipe? Share your creation with us here or on Instagram DM where we are most active! We love to see what you make 🙂
Signing off now! xx
P.S. If you want to save and read later, here’s a pinnable version 🙂